If you've been using Edge VN for the past few months, you'll have noticed that it has sat at v1.5.4 for a while now. As of today, I'm very proud to unveil the reason why: v1.7.0 is now here, and as the leap in version number suggests, it's a big one! The new update completely overhauls the code from previous versions and adds a plethora of new features, making this the cleanest and best version of Edge VN yet! Read on to find out what's new:
Version 1.7.0 of Edge VN features:
• Migrated all drawing functions to the Draw GUI event (Warning: this could affect projects made using previous versions of Edge VN!)
• Rewritten scene engine—now cleaner, easier to use, and includes optional parallax effect with characters!
• Added edgevn_create_next_block script for easily stringing multiple text blocks together
• Added character scaling and transparency options to edgevn_char_style
• Added audio functions for playing sounds and music within the context of Edge VN events
• Added edgevn_toggle_pause script for pausing/unpausing most engine functions
• Auto mode now pauses when game loses focus
• Added basic support for RTL (right-to-left) languages (text blocks only; log not supported)
• Fixed a bug causing crashes when typewriter mode is not enabled
• Minor additional bug fixes
• Numerous additional minor improvements
• Code cleanup and enhancements for efficiency and readability
If any of that sounds interesting to you, be sure to check out Edge VN on the Marketplace or download the latest update from your GameMaker asset library if you already own it! As this is such a major update, converting old projects will take more effort than usual, so you'll also want to be sure to check out the documentation for the migration guide and all the latest notes on all the updated scripts.